I have to admit I was a bit bummed that I was not running this race today. I haven’t been the most healthy person the last few weeks which is just fantastic since tomorrow starts my Chicago Marathon Training…oops.
As part of the awesome NYRR 9+1 program I decided that I wanted to do my volunteer stint for this night short race. After a late dinner I had a 5:30am wake-up call to meet my fellow volunteers at the big red tent.
I volunteered for Start/Finish Marshall which I thought would be pretty easy. When they offered to give some of us bullhorns I jumped on the chance to tell people nicely to stay on the course.
Well, I do have to say this to my fellow runners.
1) When there is a bike lane please stay out of it. This is for your safety, it isn’t fun to yell at your fellow runners. I know a lot of people don’t respect bikers and I have to admit they freak me out when they are going by fast but when the race is going on we are taking over a huge part of the park, we gotta share it!
2) When there are kids races, please for the love of god keep your kids away from the road. I almost saw 3 or 4 kids get hit today, go on the park side and they can run around as much as they want!
3) If you are walking your dog, like your children please keep them off the road during the race, between the runners, bikers and kids I got very nervous!
4) When people from NYRR give you rules, please FOLLOW THEM. I didn’t realize this until today but I think it is the New Yorker in all of us that has this weird idea “well, rules aren’t for me.” They are for you, and when you are watching people in action they make a lot of sense.
5) Say thank you every now- and then to your volunteers who are trying to keep you safe. Not just the ones like me you have to do this but the NYRR staff and volunteers who are you there at the crack of dawn making sure these races happen.
I did, in the end have a great time. I’m sorry if you heard me screaming at people on the bullhorn. I got hit my a bike once and it was not pretty. I don’t know how the bikers and runners can peacefully co-exist on these race days but thankfully my volunteer service is over!
2 more races til I’m in New York 2010!
Chicago training starts TOMORROW!!!!!!
Entry filed under: Uncategorized.